How to Become a Blood And Thunder Author
Browse our catalog, read the blurbs of our published books, peruse a few of our excerpts, read some of our books. If you think your manuscript meets the BLOOD AND THUNDER PRESS standard, then email us with a query (no manuscripts unless requested—we won’t read them). We only want well-written stories that pass the Blood and Thunder test – stun and impress us. Sweep us away!
We accept novellas, novels, and short story collections, as well as previously-published works/backlists whose rights you currently hold.
Email submissions only.
The subject line must be as follows: Last Name, Genre, Title.
For example: Hammett - Mystery – Maltese Falcon
Body of email:
– Include the word count, genre, and a short description.
– Introduce yourself with a short bio (nothing fancy, isn’t a resume), and be sure to note your social networking presence (website, blog, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, some other medium that’s just been invented, etc.).
– Indicate if your manuscript is part of a series and note the series status (if this is the first book, with books two and three complete, or perhaps book two is in the draft stage, etc.).
– If this manuscript was previously published, indicate the publisher and publication date.
– Attach the entire manuscript as either a Word .doc or .txt file.
Submit when the story is ready, not when you’re ready. Make sure you’ve gone through the entire process: first draft, edits, revisions, edits, more edits, a few more edits, then a quick polish. Now give it to friends and colleagues for critiques (people who will critique it honestly, not just pat you on the head) and let it percolate while you wait (write the next in the series). Get it back, think carefully about the comments and suggestions, and revise. Be honest with yourself.
No one teaches you to write except YOU. If you want to write, you have to READ and write every day. If your work is not yet at a publishable level, we’ll tell you. We won’t string you along for your money. However, we expect to be paid appropriately for the services we provide, should you request them.